Bradford City’s impressive eight-game unbeaten streak came to an abrupt halt as they suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat at the hands of Crewe Alexandra in Sky Bet League Two.

The turning point occurred just 12 minutes into the match when Crewe was awarded an early penalty. Chris Long, through on goal, was brought down by Jonathan Tomkinson in the box. Long expertly dispatched the spot-kick, sending Bradford’s goalkeeper, Harry Lewis, the wrong way and giving the hosts a 1-0 lead against the run of play.

Despite City’s efforts to find an equalizing goal, they were unable to break through Crewe’s defence, leaving the score 1-0 at halftime. Alex Gilliead had the first notable attempt on target for Bradford in the 20th minute, but his low, driven shot was comfortably saved by Crewe’s Tom Booth.

In the latter part of the first half, Clarke Oduor created an opportunity with a low ball across the box, but Tyler Smith failed to convert. Oduor himself tested Booth with a long-range effort, but the Crewe goalkeeper managed to parry it away, and the subsequent scramble was cleared by the defence.

Although Bradford City had better chances in the latter stages of the first half, Crewe finished strongly. Lewis had to make crucial saves to deny dangerous low crosses into the box.

As the second half unfolded, the Bantams continued their offensive efforts. Andy Cook appeared to have found the equalizer with a powerful header from a Richie Smallwood free-kick, but the assistant referee raised the flag for offside, and the goal was disallowed.

Manager Graham Alexander made attacking substitutions, introducing Bobby Pointon, Vadaine Oliver, and Matt Derbyshire, as City pressed for a comeback. Oliver had a chance with a headed effort that went wide, and Cook came close when his header was brilliantly saved by Booth, hitting the crossbar before being cleared.

Despite a late surge and Booth’s efforts to keep Tomkinson’s goal-bound header out in the dying moments, Bradford City ultimately left empty-handed, suffering their first defeat in nine matches.