Farsley Celtic’s impressive eight-match unbeaten streak in the league concluded with a 2-0 defeat against Scunthorpe United.

The home team secured three points with two second-half goals, maintaining their position as league leaders and top scorers. Despite the loss, the well-organized Celts can derive encouragement from their resolute defensive performance.

The turning point could have been different had Joao Silva’s first-half attempt not struck the post and if The Celts hadn’t seen a goal disallowed for offside shortly afterward.

As anticipated, Scunthorpe dominated possession for extended periods, but Farsley displayed determination, executing a clear plan to frustrate their full-time counterparts.

Even when Scunthorpe managed to target the goal, Farsley’s goalkeeper Zan Luk Leban showcased excellent form, making crucial saves.

The first half saw Farsley matching up well against their more prestigious opponents, showing no signs of intimidation despite a home crowd of 4,468. Although Farsley initiated well, it was Scunthorpe who had the initial significant chance, with Danny Whitehall directing a diving header wide on the 13th minute.

Farsley had their share of opportunities before the half-hour mark, with George Smith delivering a cross met by Silva’s head, only for the effort to rebound off the far post.

On the 33rd minute, The Celts thought they had taken the lead, but the linesman’s flag spared the home side’s blushes. Farsley’s goalkeeper Leban made crucial saves just before halftime, preventing Scunthorpe from taking control.

The second half unfolded similarly, and Scunthorpe broke the deadlock on the 52nd minute with Jason Law’s shot finding the net. Although Law appeared to score again four minutes later, he was ruled offside.

Farsley nearly closed the gap just before the hour mark when Branson’s header from a corner almost found the net, but Scunthorpe’s goalkeeper Fitzsimons produced a diving save.

Two minutes later, Whitehall slid in at the far post, doubling the visitors’ lead.

To their credit, Farsley persevered, coming close to scoring on the 75th minute when Ben Atkinson sent Coulson through, but his first-time effort went straight at Fitzsimons.