Emley were already leading by two goals and in control when Curtis received the ball on the edge of the box. He effortlessly bypassed two defenders and fired a curling left-footed shot from 20 yards out into the top corner, sending it pinging in off the bar for good measure.

The Pewits started the game strongly on a challenging pitch that had narrowly passed an inspection earlier in the day. Just two minutes into the match, the first moment of danger emerged as Gooden embarked on the first of many tormenting runs at the Sils defence. This initial foray resulted in a free kick that narrowly missed the target after evading everyone.

It wasn’t long before Emley secured the breakthrough their early efforts warranted. Another Gooden run led to a corner, and it was Sam Pashley, known for his back-post interventions, who tapped in Ross Hardaker’s delivery. Truthfully, the goalkeeper’s shout to claim the ball left his teammates rooted to the spot, allowing Pashley and Emley to take the lead.

Silsden briefly woke up after falling behind, but Emley’s defense limited their territorial and possession advances. When they did manage to get within sight of Dec Lambton’s goal, he was there to deal with the danger when called upon.

Emley doubled their lead just after the half-hour mark due to what could generously be described as a defensive mix-up. The centre-backs assumed a long ball forward was heading towards their goalkeeper. It wasn’t. Gooden was the first to the 50/50 ball, leaving Kyle Trenerry grasping at thin air. He could only watch helplessly as the Emley forward calmly slotted the ball into the unguarded net.

Gooden could have been challenging Curtis for the day’s most impressive strike, but after outclassing the full-back, cutting inside, and releasing his shot past Trenerry, the sound of the ball striking the post and the collective gasps from the crowd meant the score remained 2-0 at half-time – despite Hardaker and the hard-working Ruben Jerome also coming close.

Silsden’s most promising spell of the game came in the early stages of the second half as they returned with more determination. Unfortunately for them, that determination met a resolute defence in the form of captain James Knowles and Man of the Match Jack Cowgill.

Knowles was next in action at the opposite end of the pitch as he met Hardaker’s corner with a powerful header. It didn’t find the back of the net, and even if it had, the referee had already penalised him for a push.

Then came the highlight of the match. Emley displayed patience in the build-up as play switched from right to left and back again. That’s when Curtis decided to unleash a rocket into the top left corner without further ado.

Silsden continued to press for a while longer in their quest to salvage something from the game, but even a consolation goal eluded them. It could have gone from bad to worse had Emley substitute Joe Clegg made cleaner contact when he was closing in on goal in the last five minutes.

Describing Emley’s 10th consecutive league game without defeat as routine would be too strong a word. It was a display of control mixed with determination. Against another promotion contender, it was just as satisfying as Curtis’s brilliant strike.

Final Score: Silsden AFC 0 – 3 Emley AFC.