A brace from Ben Atkinson, who was making his return, proved sufficient for the Celts to clinch their inaugural home victory of the season and crown an impressive all-round team performance.

What a contrast it was! The Celts appeared to be an entirely different outfit compared to the one that had struggled to secure just one victory in their preceding six National League North matches.

The Celts kicked off strongly. In the fifth minute, Tom Allan had a half-chance, and moments later, a well-executed build-up play saw Clayton Donaldson manoeuvre inside the box before delivering a cross towards goal. Branson arrived at the back post but narrowly missed the target.

A couple of minutes later, Boston launched an attack, and Jimmy Knowles veered off course, narrowly missing the target.

The match was a back-and-forth affair, with Celts defender Rudy Misambo narrowly heading wide, before George Smith’s audacious attempt nearly caught the Boston keeper off guard, hitting the roof of the net.

Farsley displayed adept ball control and rightfully took the lead after Donaldson was fouled in the box just past the half-hour mark. Ben Atkinson, who had been absent for the past three games due to injury, struck the ball past Gregory and into the top left corner.

Boston were being outperformed but nearly secured an immediate response as Zan-Luk Leban appeared to be fouled, before Keaton Ward’s attempt was deflected wide.

Ryan Watson’s set pieces were causing problems for Boston, and just before half-time, the midfielder delivered a corner towards the near post, which Branson met, only to see his header cleared off the line.

The second half once again saw Farsley commence strongly, and eight minutes in, the hosts were awarded another penalty when Tom Allan was taken out by Tom Leak. This time, Ben Atkinson’s low penalty was thwarted by Boston’s keeper, only for the midfielder to head home the rebound, marking his fifth goal of the season.

Atkinson came close to completing his hat-trick moments later, but his shot on the turn narrowly missed the mark. Shortly after, Conor Branson’s powerful drive from distance struck the crossbar as the Celts pressed for a third goal.

Farsley defended resolutely for the remainder of the game. There was a frantic goalmouth scramble in the Farsley box as Knowles and others made attempts before the ball was eventually cleared. Two minutes from time, a diving Leban did well to divert Brad Nicholson’s shot out for a corner.

The relief felt around the ground was palpable as the final whistle blew, and the Celts celebrated a thoroughly deserved three points.