FC Halifax Town faced 15th-placed Eastleigh on a rainy day at the Shay, with 1917 fans in attendance. Eastleigh were coming off a 1-0 defeat away at Bromley on Tuesday, while Town were eager for a win following their 0-0 draw against Dagenham on Tuesday.

Town made a swift start; in less than a minute, there were appeals for a penalty as Max Wright went down in the box, but the referee waved play on.

The tenth minute saw Town earn their first corner, but the delivery sailed over everyone’s heads. Shortly after, Florent Hoti received a yellow card for throwing the ball away after a throw-in decision.

Former Town player Scott Quigley posed the first threat for Town, but his shot on target was saved by Sam Johnson. Eastleigh almost had another attempt from Quigley shortly after.

In the seventeenth minute, Eastleigh were awarded a penalty after Tylor Golden brought down Paul McCallum just outside the box. The Shay crowd was incensed by the decision, as it seemed to be right on the edge of the box rather than inside. Chris Maguire took a short run-up and converted the penalty, slotting the ball past Johnson into the bottom left corner.

Cappello unleashed a powerful left-footed shot from the left side of the box, but it was saved by Joe McDonnell, resulting in Town’s third corner. Tom Wilson’s headed effort for Town went over the bar.

In the 29th minute, Quigley had another decent effort just wide of the bottom left corner. McCallum also had a headed effort saved by Johnson, after a good cross from the left side of the box.

Florent Hoti had one of Town’s best chances of the game so far in the 37th minute. A superb run from Ryan Galvin into the box ended with a pass to Hoti for a shot inside the box, but it was saved by McDonnell. Milli Alli also had a decent left-footed shot on goal, narrowly missing the post.

Solomon Nwabuokei had a promising chance for Eastleigh after finding himself open on the left near the box. He had an open man in the box but chose to shoot, with his left-footed effort being saved by Johnson.

Max Wright had another good opportunity for Town, with a close-range effort in the box after a pass from Hoti.

Just before half-time, Trent Rendall brought down Capello with a risky tackle, a challenge that many Town fans believed should have resulted in a red card.

Shortly after the second half began, Milli Alli found himself alone in the box, earning a corner for Town. McCallum headed the ball away for another home corner.

Hoti had a tremendous left-footed effort from outside the box saved, resulting in another corner for Town. Evans’ corner nearly connected with Wilson’s head but just missed. Milli Alli also had a chance that went wide.

Town were creating some promising chances at the start of the half, but Eastleigh managed to counterattack in the 53rd minute, finding McCallum in the box for an easy finish, bringing the score to 2-0.

Eastleigh had another opportunity in the 57th minute, but it was ruled offside. On the counter, Town managed to deliver a good cross into the box, but there was no one in position to convert the chance.

In the 64th minute, Town made their first substitution, with Kane Thompson-Sommers replacing Jack Evans.

Jamie Stott made a decent effort for Town just outside the box, but it went just over the bar. Town weren’t lacking in chances in the second half, but they couldn’t seem to convert, which was frustrating for the Town fans.

Max Wright went down in the box, prompting appeals for a penalty. As Town took the subsequent corner, he appeared to be brought down again, but the referee did not award a penalty.

In the 72nd minute, McCallum found himself alone in the box, converting Eastleigh’s third goal with a right-footed shot inside the box for his second.

After the goal, Town made two substitutions, with Jordan Keane replacing Tom Wilson and Oluwabori replacing Max Wright.

Eastleigh also made their first substitution in the 76th minute, with Rutherford replacing Boldewijn.

In the 78th minute, Town managed to pull one back, with Milli Alli squaring the ball in the box for Florent Hoti to easily slot home with his right foot.

McCallum nearly scored a third in the 80th minute, but his header went just over the bar.

Eastleigh’s Chris Maguire received a yellow card in the 82nd minute after a bad challenge on Hoti.

In the 86th minute, Tylor Golden delivered a corner, sending in a superb ball that was volleyed into the box by Jordan Keane, bringing the score to 3-2 and giving Town hope for a comeback.

The final few minutes were nervy for Town, with decent chances for both Eastleigh and Town. Six minutes of added time were given for Town to find a potential equaliser.

In the 92nd minute, Town launched a promising counter, but Eastleigh managed to regain possession and win a corner after a chance from Quigley. Town had one last chance in the second half, but the ball was just slightly too far ahead of Alli and was collected by the keeper.