The Lions relinquished a two-goal advantage at the Giant Axe as Paul Phillips’ charges failed to secure points during their away match.

Lancaster’s start to the game was promising. Reece Kendall’s attempt from the edge of the penalty area was obstructed within the first two minutes.

Merely three minutes later, Jacob Holland-Wilkinson managed to break through Guiseley’s defence, but his shot was expertly denied by debutant goalkeeper Ollie Battersby, who positioned himself skillfully.

Subsequently, the visiting team began asserting themselves. Kallan Murphy capitalised on a loose ball from goalkeeper Andre Mendes and was poised to advance towards the goal before Andrew Teague tripped him. Despite protests from Guiseley, Referee Daniel Hitchell decided to issue a yellow card.

Tom Pratt forced Mendes into making a save near the near post before the deadlock was finally broken.

The first goal was scored in the 28th minute. Joe Stacey executed a weaving run down the left flank and pulled the ball back to Leigh Whelan, who fired it past Mendes.

Promptly, the Dolly Blues retaliated. A lofted ball into the penalty area found an unmarked Brad Carroll, whose header unfortunately sailed over the crossbar.

A short while later, a flick-on by Teague found Carroll unmarked on the edge of the penalty area. His curling shot narrowly cleared the crossbar.

Nonetheless, the Lions were undeterred and extended their lead in the 28th minute, with Murphy expertly controlling the ball and laying it off for Pratt. His well-struck shot nestled into the bottom corner.

The opportunity for Guiseley to further their lead arose four minutes later. An excellent cross by Ollie Brown was deflected perilously towards his own goal by Charlie Barnes, but Mendes produced a brilliant save to spare his team’s blushes.

This save would ultimately prove crucial in securing a point for Lancaster.

The second half saw the home team emerging with greater determination. However, the Dolly Blues also benefited from a stroke of luck when Sam Bailey’s cross managed to elude everyone in the penalty area and found its way into the net.

Amidst heavy summer showers, Guiseley’s defence held firm as City continued to probe.

In the 74th minute, Bailey came close to crafting an equaliser as his cross pinpointed substitute David Norris at the back post. However, Norris’ header narrowly missed the target.

The equalising goal arrived in the 83rd minute. An inswinging corner wasn’t properly dealt with by the Lions’ defence, allowing Bailey to head home his second goal from close range.

Lancaster pushed for a winning goal but struggled to find a breakthrough.