Leeds United commenced the start of the new 2023/24 season with a thrilling match against Cardiff City in the Sky Bet Championship. The fixture marked the debut of both Daniel Farke and Erol Bulut as managers of their respective teams in their first competitive match.

As the teams stepped onto the pitch at Elland Road, the home crowd erupted with a rousing rendition of “Marching on Together,” warmly welcoming their beloved side into the new season. Leeds started the game with promising signs, dominating possession and creating several early chances. Willy Gnonto’s excellent link-up play with Crysencio Summerville led to the Italian forward’s first shot of the game, only for it to be blocked.

The rebound fell to debutant Archie Gray, who attempted to find the net on two occasions, but Cardiff’s defenders thwarted his efforts. Gnonto came agonisingly close to scoring, with his half-volley just missing the target from a Luke Ayling knock-down.

Despite Leeds’ early dominance, it was Cardiff City who broke the deadlock after 23 minutes. Josh Bowler, who had recently joined the Bluebirds, pounced on Callum O’Dowda’s low cross and after his initial shot was blocked by Ethan Ampadu, slotted home the rebound.

Leeds had a couple of chances to level the score before half-time, with Summerville forcing a save from Cardiff goalkeeper Jak Alnwick and Pascal Struijk’s header being denied from a corner. However, it was Cardiff City who struck again five minutes before the break. Bowler was involved once more, cutting into the box and setting up Aaron Ramsey, who crossed for Ike Ugbo to double their lead.

At half-time, Farke made a crucial change, bringing in Sam Byram for his second debut, replacing Leo Hjelde at left-back. Leeds got the perfect start to the second half, as Summerville’s corner found the head of captain Liam Cooper, who powered in a header to halve the deficit. Unfortunately, Cooper landed awkwardly and had to be replaced by Charlie Cresswell due to injury.

With their spirits lifted, Leeds went on the offensive. Gnonto and Dan James both had attempts on goal, but Alnwick produced impressive saves to deny them. Leeds continued to dominate in the second half, spending much of the time in Cardiff’s half. Summerville came close to equalising on multiple occasions, but Alnwick’s fingertips thwarted his efforts.

Cardiff City attempted to change the momentum by making a triple substitution, bringing in Andy Rinomhota, Kion Etete, and Mahlon Romeo. Farke responded with his own double change, introducing Joe Gelhardt and Ian Poveda in place of Gnonto and James.

Finally, in the dying moments of the game, Leeds United’s relentless pressure paid off. Sinisterra made a powerful run from the left wing and took a shot at goal, only to have it blocked by Cardiff’s defence once again. However, this time, the ball fell to Summerville, who demonstrated his composure by unleashing a first-time finish into the bottom corner.

The referee blew the final whistle, and the hard-fought and exciting match at Elland Road ended with the scores level at 2-2. Leeds United showed great character by battling back from a two-goal deficit to secure a well-deserved point from their opening fixture of the season.