FC Halifax Town suffered a 2-0 defeat on the road against Boreham Wood in the Vanarama National League.

Both teams were reliant on their goalkeepers, Nathan Ashmore and Sam Johnson, who made crucial saves to keep the match scoreless at half-time. However, Boreham Wood managed to break the deadlock in the second half through Kwesi Appiah and Jamal Fyfield, capitalising on set-piece situations.

The initial corners for both sides were effectively dealt with by strong defensive plays. Nonetheless, the most significant opportunity occurred in the 8th minute when Erico Sousa bypassed Ryan Galvin, but his subsequent cross missed everyone and went out for a goal kick.

Tylor Golden’s corner was played short to Millenic Alli, who returned it to Golden. Unfortunately, Golden’s shot from the edge of the box narrowly missed the target.

The visiting team had a promising chance when Alli chased a long ball. Ashmore advanced to clear the ball, but his clearance hit Harker. Yet, the Wood goalkeeper recovered well, preventing Harker from tapping the ball into an empty net.

As the home side sought an opening goal, Mo Sagaf attempted a shot from 25 yards out, but it went over the bar.

Sam Johnson, on his 350th appearance for the Club, delivered a double save that denied the home side’s attempts to score. A long throw-in was flicked on, and Appiah’s header was impressively redirected around the post for a corner. The ensuing ball into the box was met by Jamal Fyfield, yet Johnson once again prevented Wood from securing an opening goal.

Ashmore was then tested as Jack Evans aimed to increase his season’s goal count after Alli found him in the box. However, Ashmore’s one-handed save thwarted FC Halifax Town from taking the lead.

Just before half-time, Alli broke through on goal, but another exceptional save from Ashmore maintained the game’s 0-0 status.

The breakthrough came in favour of the home side. Tom Whelan’s free-kick, resulting from Golden’s foul, was perfectly met by Kwesi Appiah, who headed the ball home at the far post.

Jamie Stott attempted a shot from the edge of the box, but it was directed straight at Ashmore. Nonetheless, Boreham Wood secured a two-goal lead a few minutes later from a Tom Whelan corner. The ball fell to Jamal Fyfield, who tapped it in from inside the six-yard box.

FC Halifax Town’s manager, Chris Millington, made two substitutions, bringing on Max Wright for Ryan Galvin and Andrew Olubarowi. Both players showed promise during their brief time on the field.

Despite finishing the game on the offensive, FC Halifax Town faced continuous denials. Olubarowi had his cross blocked, Alli’s shot was obstructed, and Cappello’s cross resulted in a corner as the team sought a comeback.

The ball into the box was cleared to Max Wright, whose shot was met by Adam Senior. However, Ashmore once again denied the effort, preventing FC Halifax Town from narrowing the deficit.

Throughout the game, FC Halifax Town persisted in their pursuit of a goal. Nevertheless, Jack Evans was also thwarted by a solid block from the Boreham Wood defence.

Ultimately, Boreham Wood held on to secure a 2-0 victory, beginning their home campaign with a valuable three points.