City suffered a comprehensive defeat at the Mazuma Stadium this afternoon, as they were beaten 3-0 by Morecambe.

Michael Mellon scored a goal in each half, and JJ McKiernan added one in the second half to secure a comfortable victory for the home team.

The initial 10 minutes of the match at the Mazuma Stadium witnessed both sides struggling to establish control over the game. In the early stages, the Bantams had their best opportunity through Clarke Oduor, but his attempt missed the target.

As the first half progressed, City began to find their footing. However, it was Morecambe who broke the deadlock with a free-kick by Mellon. After Yann Songo’o was fouled by Smallwood at the edge of the box, Mellon expertly placed the set-piece into the corner, beyond the reach of Harry Lewis.

City maintained possession and dominated the play for the remainder of the half but couldn’t break down the hosts’ defence. Tyler Smith came close for City but saw his shot saved by the goalkeeper.

The initial 10 minutes of the second half resembled the closing moments of the first, with neither team able to take control. City pressed for an equaliser, and Smith’s attempt was deflected wide. The resulting corner almost led to an equalising goal, as Smallwood’s delivery was met by Matty Platt, but his header was cleared off the line by Morecambe’s goalkeeper, Stuart Moore.

Despite City’s efforts to level the score, Morecambe capitalised on a counter-attack to extend their lead. JJ McKiernan played a one-two with Mellon inside the box and slotted a right-footed shot past Harry Lewis.

City continued their push to find a goal and get back in the game. Alex Pattison surged through the midfield and played Smith down the left flank, but Smith’s curled shot with his right foot sailed over Moore’s crossbar.

With five minutes remaining, the hosts were awarded a penalty, which Mellon confidently converted to secure his second goal of the day and make it 3-0, condemning City to defeat.

As the second half entered added time, City pressed for a consolation goal and came close from a few set-pieces. Unfortunately, they were unable to add to their tally, ultimately falling to a defeat.