In a hard-fought rugby league match at Alexander Stadium, the Rams showcased their resilience and determination as they secured a late victory against the Midlands Hurricanes. With only five games remaining in the regular season, the Rams were eager to add another win to their record against the Hurricanes, who currently held the eighth position in the league standings.

Contrary to the expectations set by the league table, this encounter proved to be a bruising and intense battle right from the start. The home side drew first blood when Todd Horner capitalised on the Rams’ fumbled ball near their own goal line and scored the opening try.

Undeterred, the Rams mounted a strong response, applying pressure on their opponents. Their efforts paid off when Ollie Greensmith crashed over the try line from close range, courtesy of an excellent build-up play down the Rams’ left-hand side.

The Midlands Hurricanes, determined to prove their mettle, extended their lead to eight points just after the ten-minute mark. Sheffield loanee Jason Bass showcased his skills by scoring in the corner, followed by a successful conversion by Ben Stead.

The ensuing twenty minutes became a gruelling battle between both teams, with no further scoring opportunities except for a promising break by Bailey O’Connor that unfortunately fizzled out. However, with just five minutes remaining in the first half, the Hurricanes widened their lead with two penalty goals expertly converted by Ben Stead.

With the advantage of a strong wind behind them in the second half, the Rams anticipated using it to their benefit and turning the game around. However, the first significant action in the second half unfolded when Paul Sykes was sin-binned for a late hit on a Midlands player.

Facing a twelve-point deficit and being reduced to twelve men, the Rams could have crumbled under the pressure. Instead, they showcased their resilience by quickly scoring two tries to level the scores. First, Sam Day powered his way over the try line from close range, marking his 100th career appearance. Soon after, Lewis Carr finished off a remarkable length-of-the-field move initiated by Perry Whiteley’s interception on his own goal line.

The Midlands Hurricanes refused to back down, and Liam Welham responded swiftly for the home side, putting them back in the lead. However, the Rams swiftly retaliated, with Ollie Greensmith barging his way over the try line for his second try of the match, once again bringing the scores level.

With just over ten minutes remaining, Ben Stead regained the lead for the home side with a well-executed drop goal, putting them ahead by one point. However, it was the Rams who emerged victorious as Ronan Dixon bulldozed his way over the try line, securing a crucial late try that sealed the win for his team in their promotion pursuit.

Reflecting on the game, Rams Head Coach Liam Finn remarked, “That was a very tough game today, it was tough to watch, but we managed to wheel our way over the line in the end, and that’s the important thing.” The hard-fought victory undoubtedly bolstered the Rams’ confidence as they continue their journey towards promotion in the remaining matches of the season.